WHAT IS ROTARY?
Most people hear the word Rotary and immediately think of old men eating lunch. While I must confess there are a few old men who belong to our club, me included, it is important to know that our membership includes young and old, men and women. And we do eat lunch. But between our weekly lunches we work hard to improve our community in many interesting and important projects.
Our latest project is sponsoring the Welcome Desk Area
at the newly renovated Sharpsburg Library
Why are you waiting?
We know you eat lunch. Come, join us as we strive to make our community a great place to live and work.
Since 1926, the members of the Sharpsburg-Aspinwall Rotary Club have been serving our local communities in countless ways.
Some of our local activities include:
Some of the organizations we support with monetary contributions:
- Participating in the Guyasuta Days in Sharpsburg and the Fall in the Wall Day in Aspinwall
- Distributing Meals-on-Wheels every Monday and Wednesday
- Holding a monthly BINGO for the patients at the Heinz Veterans Hospital Facility in O'Hara
- Distributing dictionaries, part of The Dictionary Project, a national program helping third grade students.
- Providing Christmas gifts for both seniors and children in need
Our club supports various International efforts:
- Sharpsburg Little League Baseball Association
- St. Vincent dePaul Society
- Koman Race for Cancer Cure
- Steel City Dragon Boat Association
- North Hills Community Outreach Ministries
- Watson Institute
- Volunteers of America
And we have fun.
- Polio Plus - the major effort of the entire Rotary world for the last few decades working for the eradication of polio from the face of the earth
- International student and work exchange programs
- Global Links - packing surplus usable medical supplies for third world countries
Throughout the year, our members gather socially for dinners, parties and other fun-filled events. Some of our members have been friends for over forty years, all because of their membership in Rotary. All it takes is weekly attendance at our Thursday meetings, a one hour committment that will have you wanting to participate in our many community projects.
Our Rotary Club meets every Thursday at noon at the Walnut Grove Restaurant in the Waterworks Mall. We invite you to stop by any Thursday and see what we are all about. We are always looking for new members, active and caring people who love to give back to their communities. The bigger we are the more we can do.
GET INVOLVED! JOIN ROTARY TODAY!